Monday, June 10, 2013

SoCo, Barton, & Flying Fish!


It’s been almost one year since I’ve blogged?  Holy hell! 

What have I been up to?  Had I kept writing after my somewhat infamous Chic-fil-a post last July, you would have read about a transformative summer; a summer that started with a conference in Orange California and ended with me resigning from my job as Chaplain of Barton College. 

Beach day Laguna Niguel, CA
It was that conference, hosted by Higher Education and Leadership Ministries of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) called SHARE 2012, which pushed me into the precipice of this now adventure.  The conference brought together college students in the Disciples of Christ and United Church of Christ to think about the changes of church, (the fact that only 17% of the US population is in church on any given Sunday (or Saturday – don’t want to leave out the Adventist)) to discuss what’s at stake, and as architects what will the church look like in the future. 

I can’t recap the entire week, but I left transformed.  I left having witnessed and experienced intentionality, creativity, and palatable hope. I was refreshed and nourished and it gave me the courage to do something I had wanted to do for a long time: quit my job. 

YOU FOOL!  Of course you wanted to quit your job – you just spent two weeks in SoCo!  

I probably could have been talked back into my full senses had anyone tried to convince me.  But no one did.  As a matter of fact as I shared my idea, I was only encouraged to go for it.  Not even my own parents, who are always grounded in logic and risk averment said – “that sounds great!”  I moved to a point that if I didn’t pursue this new adventure I would always ask “What if?”  And we can’t have that now, can we? 

Last trip with students - in Haiti
I need to say that my experience as Chaplain of Barton College was amazing! Though I resigned last July, I continued to serve full time through the fall semester and part time until May 2013.  I served for over 5 years, navigating my way through multiple constituencies, overwhelming joy of seeing students transform themselves from freshman to graduation and the immense heartbreak of losing a student and staff member.  I learned a great deal about myself and I developed skills that will sustain me professionally.  I made great friends that I plan on keeping.

As wonderful as my experience was at Barton, I was burned out.  I was working 60-70 hours every week and living apart from my family.  Having one-person offices and working within the academic calendar left little room for the vacation time allotted to rejuvenate.  I was burned out in a position that didn’t create room for a sabbatical.  (When I brought it up, I was told that the sabbatical was an academic term created for solely for faculty.  I had to remind them that the word sabbatical comes from the Hebrew, shabbatt, and that perhaps they are misinformed.  I refrained from reminding them of the history of religious institutions and higher education). My burn out left me with little creativity and energy.  I was reading very little (I didn’t have time for it!) and I let’s not even talk about spiritual life!   I had stopped being an effective Chaplain.  By resigning, I did what was best for the institution, my family and myself.   Needless to say, I now believe all employment should come with sabbatical opportunities. 

So what am I doing now? 

Just finished running my first 8K
I have been in professional ministry for nearly a decade.  When I evaluate my professional gifts they include aspects of organizing, relationship building, motivating, seeing the larger picture and cultivating a path to make that picture happen.  Using these skills, I am doing business as Flying Fish Solutions, helping ministries, churches, and nonprofits in whatever ways they need.  So far, my work consists of planning large-scale events, fundraising, artist management and interim ministry.  I am working with Higher Education and Leadership Ministries as their Director of Undergraduate Programs (HELM Fellows), helping Love Wins, a ministry that cultivates intentional community with those experiencing homelessness, as their Director of Faith and Community Partnerships, managing Christian Piatt: Father, Son andHoly Heretic, and doing a lot of preaching at Wake Forest ChristianChurch.  I also recently finished the 30th Anniversary fundraiser for the Wesley Shelter, Inc, a domestic violence and sexual assault organization in Wilson, NC.   I am staying busy! 
peaking out of my office - Flying Fish!

I don’t know that Flying Fish is what I’ll do forever but it has created room for me to be more intentional about my life.  I have time to read, play in the garden, I sew, and cultivate my joy.  I am taking better care of myself. I have time to be a better friend. I am taking this time to discern what is next and I feel confident that it will be revealed.   

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful adventure that will help keep your soul alive. Yay!

    ReplyDelete