Monday, July 29, 2013

How to tend an orchid


A met a man in Moore’s Square park on Saturday.  Moore’s Square is the park where all the “homeless” people hang out.  His name is Eden.  He is originally from Bosnia.  He moved to Raleigh a few weeks ago after his money ran out in High Point.  Before High Point, he lived in South Dakota, (I believe that's what he said) then he heard there were more employment opportunities in High Point.  So much for that.

Eden, in what he referred to as his former life in Bosnia worked with orchids.  In our brief conversation, he tells me he could bring just about any orchid back to life.  “It depends” he says in his east European accent (an accent I have missed hearing since studying at Bossey).  He continues saying, “If it is under watered, it is fine, over watered – I cannot save.  No one can save.”  I shake my head as though I understand the intricacies of orchid plants. Of course overwatering is bad.

Truth is, I have an orchid plant.  It sits on what is known as the coffee bar in my kitchen next to the window.  It was beautiful when my partner, Doug, first got it for me, but now, it's a stick.  I have heard they are a difficult flower to cultivate.  I have also heard orchids will eventually bloom again if you are patient.  It’s been sitting there, flowerless, for about four months.  What Eden shares is of great interest to me.  I ask him – “So how should one care for an orchid?”

He shared the following:

1)   No one tells you this, but you should always repot an orchid plant when you get it.  It needs a new pot and new soil.
2)   Don’t over water.
3)   Water from the roots – not the top. 

Let us see what happens
He also shares that Sunday is the best day to water an orchid, stating that you water the roots of the plant before you go to church.  While you are at church, let the plant sit in the sink so the excess water drains out and when you get home, put the plant back.  I could imagine generations of Bosnian families watering their delicate orchids in this manner.  All of their orchids with beautiful buds due to the rhythm of their Sabbath watering and the prayers they received while their tenders are at worship. 

I thanked Eden for his time and help.  I immediately went home to repot my orchid carefully pulling away the old dried up soil.  Though it was a lifeless stick up top, I was happy to see life in the roots. I carefully watered the roots and placed it into fresh soil.  With all this TLC I feel like I should name my orchid.  Perhaps Eden is a fitting name.  I am not sure if it will bloom, but it looks happier all ready.  Sometimes there is a great deal of life in our roots, all we need is new soil, new surroundings, and a little patience.  

I wait with anticipation to see if both Eden’s live into their namesake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment