Thursday, February 12, 2015

We can’t allow Hicks to be the scapegoat for our lack of courage to have a real conversation

I sit at the table cutting out dozens of white fabric doves for an ordination stole I’m making for a friend who comes from the Mennonite tradition; a tradition rooted in peace and non-violence. The story about the three Chapel Hill students plays in the background on the news - murdered at point blank range – perhaps over a parking dispute, but I can’t help think it’s because of their faith. Following this, the story about Kayla Mueller, the slain hostage held by ISIS.  I start to cry.

I cry because of the disparity. I cry – overwhelmed by the space between these two stories. I cry because this happened in my community. I cry because of the religious intolerance.  I cry because of the young lives lost and all the hope and passion lost with them. I cry out of fear. I cry because I am scared for Muslims in my community and around the world. I cry because it’s sad and senseless and I wonder what the world is coming to. I cry out of despair questioning if we will have the patience, compassion, and courage to talk about three Muslim lives lost.

We don’t know – and we may never know – the gunman’s motivation. Various administrations (Chapel Hill Police, City, and U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of North Carolina) adamantly maintain that it was over a parking dispute. As someone who has worked in marketing and public relations, I understand their initial position. It is reasoned out of fear of potential violent retaliation.  The goal is to keep people calm.

While I agree with Ripley Rand, the U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of North Carolina when he states "Based on all the information that our office and law enforcement have at this time, the events of yesterday are not part of a targeted campaign against Muslims in North Carolina".  I do believe this was an isolated incident by the gunman.

I agree with Abdullah Antepli, director of Muslim affairs at nearby Duke University, who calls for people not to jump to conclusions over the motive for the killing.

However, I cringe when I hear Karen Hicks’ attorney reduce this slaying to a “simple matter …these victims were in the wrong place at the wrong time”. 

I must give a lip quivering “No”!  

While Hicks clearly suffers or suffered from some sort of emotional, mental breakdown – (I don’t believe the average rational person murders people at point blank range over a parking space) this horrific slaying cannot be reduced to anything simple. This loss has nothing to do with three Muslim lives being at the wrong place at the wrong time.  This may be an isolated incident by the gunman but this is not an isolated incident of religious intolerance. [Against Muslims, Jews or any body that has an alternative religious point of view than you] If this were the case – none of us would have sat up at attention – questioning if the murder of three college students had to do with their Muslim identity.

To reduce this murder to a simple misunderstanding; a simple unfortunate instance of circumstance denigrates the lives of three extraordinary humans: Deah Shaddy Barakat, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha, and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha.

We can’t allow Hicks to be the scapegoat for our lack of courage to have a real conversation about Islamophobia, religious intolerance, racism, and even spiritual abuse in our country and around the world.


When I think about the thousands who attended the prayer vigil Wednesday evening- who came to share their prayers, their solidarity, their tears, I witness tangible courage that I pray will give way to hard conversations.  I cry with hope.  We can and must do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment